Today is my fifth anniversary in publishing. In addition to being thankful for you coming on this journey with me, I want to share 3 things I have learned along the way as a published author.
First of all, I want you to know that I still consider myself a new author, but this journey has taught me a thing or two. I can share the glamour of holding your baby in your hand. Or yes it is glamorous, for me at least. But I want to share with you my transparent truth, it just might be yours as well.
- Let your voice come naturally to you. I had to start with this because one of the things that stopped me in the beginning was I told myself I’d never sound as great as those who I’ve admired for years. Well, I was right, they are them and I am me. When God made each and everyone of us, He broke the mold, figuratively of course 🙂 So instead of trying to copy someone’s voice, hone the one that God gave you.
- The passion for your story will dwindle: The thrill of a new idea is always exciting. I have woken up many nights so excited. But as time goes on, the allure of these characters dwindle under the craft. The number one thing I do is to step back and let the characters loose. One of the reasons the passion may dwindle is the characters aren’t doing what I told them to do…free them but don’t throw away the story. You can’t fix a blank page.
- You will not feel like writing every day…and guess what? You don’t have to. I know you see those quotes all the time about “write everyday”, “a writer should be writing” while true, that’s an enormous amount of pressure. I do not write everyday, but I also don’t write only when I feel like either. I set goals for releasing a book and follow my word count action plan to get it done.
- Growing a platform takes time. It will not explode overnight. That’s just not how it works. You have to post consistently. You have to put up valuable content. You have to make an effort to build your platform every single day. But don’t be so busy looking for the masses that you forget those that are with you now. Nurture them and they will help you spread the word. I LOVE MY AFRO LUV BUGS, they are my rock readers and I’m so grateful to them.
- Writing/Authorship/Publishing are three very different things. Be clear about what you’re doing and who you are. Publishing is a business and should be treated as such.
Have you read my titles? Check them out here
Keep walking in the direction of your dream. It might not be writing but whatever it is, keep at it. Good things take time.
Peace & Blessing,
Happy Monday Christianpreneurs,
Have you lost an opportunity you knew for sure should have been yours? Have you had your game plan laid out only to have them derailed at the last minute? Probably God made a mistake. Of course He should have said Yes, after all you’re in His will, working on His calling, so His No isn’t really making sense right now.
I’ve been there plenty of times. Dear Christianpreneur, in times of old I would have given up and turned back. But the more intentional I become in leaning on God in the darkness of my uncertainty, the more I figured out how to be okay with His No. Here are three ways I want to share with you..
- His No, might be a detour and not denial. In Acts 16, Paul was prevented from going to Asia to preach by the Spirit of Jesus. Why tho? He was doing the will of God. However, it wasn’t time. He eventually went, it just wasn’t at that time. Paul needed to make a God ordained detour to Macedonia first…Lydia needed to be converted among other things.
- There always turns out to be something bigger ahead. Joseph was forgotten by the baker and cup bearer. I’m sure during that time he thought his escape from prison was a solid No. But when he was released, you know the story.
- Recorded instances in the Bible where God has used one’s greatest disappointment to present them with a greater opportunity. It is not over because of grace. Plans may change but the mission doesn’t.
So how do you remain expectant in prayer and trust He will give you the right answer…eventually? It just might not look like what you imagined. By cultivating an expectant heart. Not a heart rooted in escapism & complacency but in confident anticipation. Did I tell you I have this Free Expectant Prayer Guide for You.
In it, it will help you’ll learn how to seek and find the proper foundation for
praying expectantly. In it you’ll find…
1. Prayer & Your Business
2. Growing An Expectant Heart
3. Roadblocks To Prayer
4. Seven Point Model to Expectant Prayers
5. Action Plan & Activities.
Peace & Blessings,
Be Empowered. Remain Expectant. Stay Anchored
Do not eat the bread of anxious toil. What’s does that really mean?
Listen here for iTunes or Stitcher
Don’t forget to leave me a review.
Peace & Blessings
Be so focused on what you are doing that it doesn’t matter who shows up
David was out in the field doing his job with all his might, diligence. He was for sure not worried about the next man. The anointing found him.
Dear #Christianprenuer you are magic, uniquely created and assigned. Be focused, though it may tarry…wait for it.
Peace & Blessings